Congratulations on starting your journey to health. We are so excited that you have decided to delve into the realm of spinal health and expressing true wellness.
The spine has been neglected for too many years in mainstream medicine and we are here to remedy that problem.
Many people have experienced issues related to their spine and nerves without even realizing.
- Stabbing Pain
- Shooting Pain
- Dull/ Aches
- Changes in temperature, vibration
All of these are symptoms having to do with pressure on the nerves as they relate to the spine.
The function of the vertebral column/spinal column is to act as a moveable protective encasement for the very delicate central nervous system.
Central Nervous System– Brain and Spinal Cord
Peripheral Nervous System– Nerves after they have exited the spine and are in route to organs, muscles, and joints
The brain obviously has the best protection of all with the skull.
Even though the spine is made to protect the spinal cord and nerves sometimes things don’t go as planned.
Falls, accidents, and injuries can damage the ligaments that hold the bones together.
Each vertebra connects to other vertebrae through an interlocking mechanism and maintain movement by strong ligaments that hold the whole structure together as we bend, rotate, and move through life.
When we have a fall, accident, or injury we damage the ligaments that hold the vertebrae together. Unfortunately, ligaments do not have good healing properties. This means that when we damage them, they tend to stay somewhat damaged.
There are new regenerative medicines such as prolotherapy, and stem cell therapy.
- Attempts to heal tissues that are otherwise hard to heal
- Prolotherapy – injections into the ligaments using ozone or glucose solution
- Stem Cell Therapy- Injections into the ligaments using stem cells from your own body
Most of the time the body can heal itself from injuries; however, sometimes the body needs help and that’s where atlas orthogonal comes in.
The most moveable bone in the body is the atlas bone and it connects to the skull via very tiny mounds on the bottom of the skull called condyles and to the rest of the spine via the axis bone
Accidents, injuries, micro traumas will cause the bones to ‘subluxate’ which is when they move out of alignment in such a way that they cannot get back into alignment.
Once the atlas and axis move out of alignment, they cause the rest of the spine to move out of alignment. The problem is when we let this sit there for years and years. So, it’s pretty easy to understand that the longer it’s been out of place you are more likely to be in a later stage of degeneration.
Phase 1: 5-10 years
Phase 2: 10-15 years
Phase 3: 15-20 years
Phase 4: 20 + years
Atlas Orthogonal Treatment
Atlas orthogonal treatment cannot reverse the process of aging. Unfortunately, science in general has not found a way to reverse the aging process in the spine.
This treatment is designed to realign the top two bones also called the cranio cervical junction.
After your first or second treatment we will take a post film to check your progress. This post film should show improvement from the original misalignment.
At this point, we will know if the ‘formula’ that we have derived from your x-rays is going to work for you.
If there is not a marked improvement in the atlas bone at this step then we will re-calculate your atlas formula based on the changes between the pre and post film and attempt re-alignment again.
How long does this take?
Great question and that mostly depends on you.
This is a program that you must take seriously. The amount of effort that you put forth with determine the level of success you achieve. I will lay out some very simple but strict ground rules for you to follow and they must be maintained.
- No slouching – maintain good upright posture and make this a habit over the next 90 days.
- For every inch your head moves forward that multiplies the weight of the head on the neck, so if your head is one inch forward that will cause an extra 10-15 pounds on the next, if you head is two inches forward then that will cause an extra 30 lbs on the neck
- The same is also true for the low back but instead of 10-15 lbs were talking about an extra 50-60lbs on the low back. More if you are overweight or obese
- Sleep on your back or side. If you cannot commit to side or back sleeping then we recommend you do not start the program. Stomach sleeping leads to premature again of the spine due to the extreme stress the neck is under while you are unconscious. Stomach sleeping will lead to many many problems and it will immediately throw your adjustment out of alignment.
- No rollercoasters, no atvs, no extreme sports or activities. During the initial 90 days of treatment it is advisable that you do not participate in any activity that may lead to whiplash as this is damaging to the ligaments in the cervical spine, which we are trying to heal. It is recommended that you look at this period of time as one of healing. Pretend as if you have had neck surgery and try to move and operate from this mentality. Would you go on a rollercoaster after having neck surgery? I don’t think so, so why would you now?
- Proper nutrition- what you eat affects so much of your body. You need proper amount of good carbohydrates, good fats, and good protein. Eat as much as you can organically and fresh farm food. Stay away from commercially grown produce, processed foods, caffeine, alcohol and other foods that are harmful to your health.
- Remember you are trying to heal your body and this means giving your body healthy building blocks for growth.
- Rest- your body heals while you are sleeping. 8-10 hours of sleep is necessary for a healthy body. Remember to get to sleep early and to turn off electronics 3 hours before going to bed.
- Shift workers- do your best, turn off electronics, use blocking shades for the sun and support your body with good food and water
- Avoid sugar, flour, carbonated beverages, soda, and all other items that are not condusive to a healthy body
- Eat in moderation. Remember that your body can only handle so much at any one time. Only provide what your body can handle. If you are burping a lot that means you are eating too fast and consuming air with your food. SLOW DOWN. Eat slowly, mindfully and listen when your body tells you are full.
- Learn to garden- no matter your living situation you can begin to garden. There are gardening guides for apartments, townhomes, and homes, find your niche. Herbs are a great way to start and they have many benefits to supply. Herbs are very medicinal and soothing to the body.
For the first 90 days it is advisable to stay away from heavy lifting due to the fact that most people at some point have over developed some muscles due to their structural imbalances
Allowing muscle mass is reduce during the initial 90 days helps to reset the body and prepare for regrowth
The body needs a physiological rest during your healing phase, meaning that we need to allow the body to take a break and focus on what’s most important- healing your spine. If your body is in a state of constant physical stress with exercise then you will not be able to use your valuable resources on healing your body.
After your first 30 days in the program, the doctor may give you specific exercises to work on to help with certain weak areas
In general most people have very tight hamstrings and very weak gluteal muscles so it is recommended that people
Squat daily at least 25 times in the am and pm – do it while brushing your teeth and watch yourself in the mirror to maintain good posture
Bend down and try to touch your toes for 2 minutes every day
Standing doorway stretch for pectoralis muscles- stand with your arms in the door way and lean forward in order to stretch your pecs
Chin tucks- the chin muscles are often the most neglected muscles in the neck and lead to sagging ‘turkey neck’ every day you must chin tuck for at least 2 minutes a day to strengthen these muscles and this will help to relax the back of the neck muscles
Walking everyday is the best way to get cardiovascular exercise without damaging the spinal alignment until postural muscles strengthen
Water- you must drink ½ your body weight in ounces every day that means that you must drink 100 ounces of water every day if you are 200 pounds
No snacking at night before bed. Stop eating at least 1 hour before bed
Chew your food 30 times before swallowing
Eat whole foods such as vegetables, fruit, organic meat and wild caught seafood
Stay away from packaged foods including breads, rices, grains, sugars, added sugars such as fructose, high fructose corn syrup, candies, sugary beverages, alcohol
So many people are inflamed systemically in their bodies due to poor dietary choices
Curcumin in turmeric
Vitamin D3 / K2
Omega 3, 6 essential fatty acids
Vitamin Bs – all of them
If you’re going to have some then organic red wine or clear potato based vodka- lower in sugar, no gluten, and less chance of toxic damage
Get off your cell-phone at night
You should not be looking down at your cell phone or ipad at any time of the day with your head held down – this puts a tremendous amount of strain on your body
Also stop using electronics 3 hours before bed